Userland sources for from-scratch build

Packaging/Compiling/Client Information Forums, including Author's chit chat forum and soon others.

Userland sources for from-scratch build

Postby The1stImmortal » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:49 am

Hey folks,

Just playing around with Freesco atm - was trying to get a from-scratch build set up of the base system but can't find the sources for most of the userland bits and pieces. There's a few patches in the 0.4.5 .zip file but the license file references other customized packages that don't seem to have sources in that .zip (though entirely possibly I'm looking in the wrong places). I'm also not entirely sure of the correct versions of source packages to use etc as well.

Just wondering if there was a full source package (or list) floating around for the userland components at all?

Thanks,

-The1stImmortal
The1stImmortal

Re: Userland sources for from-scratch build

Postby Lightning » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:26 pm

In the zip file there is mostly just patches to existing source code that is available from the original distributors.

So if you want to build a development machine you will need Slackware 3.9 installed. Then the FREESCO kernel source along with all various original source codes and then apply the FREESCO patches to those source codes. There are also a number of things you will need to do to the system with regards to source file locations which I do not remember the details of. But you will find some compiling problems related to locations of source files that need to be modified.

The other option is to build a FREESCO 0.4.5 system and add the bash package and the GCC package. This will make it possible to compile kernels. As for compiling other things it is sort of hit and miss as the gcc package is still beta and needs some work to make it function as it does in Slackware.

If you need anything else please let me know.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to Packaging/Compiling/Client Information Forums