[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - Newbie - Some Q's - Please Help !

Newbie - Some Q's - Please Help !

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

Postby Fjorko » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:46 am

Hi All

Im completely new to this router ( Freesco ) and Linux I know nothing about !! :-)

I want to set up a Multi-site AD/Exchange environment on my PC at home. I am using Vmware Workstation 5.5.

I disabled all Vmware networking bits ( NAT/DHCP etc ). My PC has a Wireless NIC that connects to my ADSL Wireless Router.

I want to create a completely isolated environment and do not need Internet access at this stage.

I downloaded Corn's pre-built router, and added this to Vmware.

At this point I want to add that I am trying to use a VMware Team so that I can create seperate Lan Segments to simulate slow WAN links ( built into Vmware Workstation ).

Obviously I need routing between these LAN Segments which represents the WAN's between the AD sites, and so I stumbled upon Freesco.

I obviously need more than one router because I am looking to have a HEAD OFFICE and two Remote sites which means I need 3 routers if I am not mistaken...

Now here comes the part that I do not get....

I sketched out my Topology as I want it. It ends up something like the image attached:

For each Freesco router - I do not want eth0 to connect to the internet - but it keeps wanting to use it as the default GW when the router boots ( guess its by design ) . . . . All i want is simple routing between sites, but if each router has a eth0 that wants to connect to an ISP and use eth0 as the GW for that router - how can you use multiple routers like this ??? I know it may seem easy for you to grasp - but I need some guidance in this regard

As I said I do not know linux - I have seen you guys add routes and edit scripts to make routes permananet - but I do not know how to get to these scripts or where you guys make these changes.....

I searched all over the NET to find someone that is doing something similar to what I am doing before I registered here, but most people only use ONE of these routers - which is fine if all you need to do is connect your network to the internet.

Can someone please help me to understand how to configure freesco in a multi site environment using Vmware just for simple routing between LAN segments ( subnets ).

Hope I made sense.

Many thanks
Fjorko

Postby dingetje » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:29 am

It is true that FREESCO (and most other router solutions out there) are designed with the idea of ONE internet connection that needs to be shared and firewalled for multiple LAN's.

How will the connections between the main site and both remote sites (WAN1 and WAN2 in your picture) be implemented?
Via a trusted medium or over a hostile (read: internet) link?
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Fjorko » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:55 pm

Thanks for replying.....WAN1 & 2 will be trusted off course. As I said before, It will all run completely isolated from the outside world within a Vmware Team.

Do you think Freesco is not what I'm looking for here ?

Thanks

By the way - I even tried to let eth0 pick up a DHCP address by bridging it to my wireless NIC in my PC, but it just comes back as Failed/Delayed . . . I have made sure that MAC filtering is switched off on my ADSL router as to service the DHCP request from Freesco...
Fjorko

Postby Lightning » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:56 pm

If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Fjorko » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:43 pm

Fjorko

Postby Lightning » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:23 pm

If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Fjorko » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:49 am

Fjorko

Postby Fjorko » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:33 pm

Fjorko

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x